SAVE THE DATE: July 9-10 – Dragon Boat Festival at Phalen Park. Consider joining our Dragon Boat Team Friendship this year! Details coming soon.
SAVE THE DATE: Attend the World Premier on September 10, 2016, of CHF’s Dream of the Red Chamber Opera by the San Francisco Opera in San Francisco. Click here for details.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK! We are happy to announce that we have a NEW USCPFA-MN Facebook page. Click here and “like us” so you are always up-to-date on our news and events.
April 12, 2016 – Annual Members Meeting & Election
Congratulations to our new Board Members: Jim Swiderski, Mengjiao (Nancy) SUN, Xin YANG, Yanli (Steve) ZHENG, and to our officers: President Ralph Beha, Vice President Linda Mealey-Lohmann, Treasurer Wen LI, and Secretary Glynis Hinschberger.
April 9-10, 2016 – “Passage to China” (sponsored by the Chinese Heritage Foundation)
March 22, 2016 – China Talk Series: “China’s Social Media,” by Rui (Tammy) Huang, Co-founder of Joy Dolphin Technology.
With a full-house of 120 people, there was great food, conversation, group singing, prizes, and entertainment at the Grand Szechuan Restaurant. Whitney Clark, the Master of Ceremonies, kept the evening moving smoothly. President Ralph Beha spoke about all the past and upcoming events by the Chapter. Linda Mealey-Lohmann made a multi-media presentation of the designs for the St. Paul-Changsha sister-city China Garden at Phalen Park. Two students from Breck sang solos, Eryu E (Beijing) sang in English and Stacy Yuan (Shanghai) sang in French. Four students from Anoka Middle School, under the direction of their teacher, Jefferson Fietek, performed a scene from the Monkey King. Aidan Ftacek, Josia Ahlquist, Sean Cook, and Sophia Pletcher had the audience entranced with their antics and humor. Thanks to all our Event Sponsors and the Planning Committee for a successful evening.
January 27, 2016 “Ask Me About Tea” China Talk Series
Presentation by Bill Waddington, Founder of TeaSource. We learned that all tea comes from the same plant and there are 6 categories of tea, along with lots of other useful and interesting information! Click here for details.
August 8, 2015 USCPFA-MN Members attend the Chinese Heritage Foundation luncheon and discussion of Dream of the Red Chamber – Act II
July 16-18, 2015: Sister Cities International Conference in Minneapolis.
May 3, 2015 – “Building Friendships” – free USCPFA-MN members event. Open house with talks by 3 speakers about cross-cultural relationship building:
- Marco Lanz:
– first experienced China in Chongqing as a collegiate lecturer. Observed the differences between college students in China and college students in U.S.
– also lived in Chengdu, which has more Western amenities. Discussed how different and difficult it was to branch out and find relationships in local Chinese community when there were so many other expats like him around
- Tedmund Leung
– worked in Beijing for 4 years and learned the importance of finding a local peer to help navigate the working world in China, including how to best build and nurture relationships with Chinese
– recommended utilizing free time to spend with colleagues and better build those relationships in spaces other than an office
- Whitney Clark
– discussed the role cultural perceptions of friendship and a lack of common experiences between American and Chinese peoples play in being challenges to building deep friendships
– talked about some avenues for building shared experiences that can lead to nurturing strong friendships (i.e. joining organizations such as USCPFA to find others with similar interests)
April 29, 2015 – USCPFA-MN Welcomes newly-appointed Mr. Jun LIU, Chicago Deputy Consul General
Ralph Beha, Linda Mealey-Lohmann, and Wen Li met with the new Deputy Consul General from Chicago, Mr. Jun LIU, over lunch at Little Szechuan along with Mr. GUO Jinyue, Vice Consul of Political & Press Affairs, and Mr. Han LI, Vice Consul of Political & Press Affairs. Ralph talked about USCPFA-MN’s mission and the the long sister relationships and Linda talked about the two China Garden projects.April 3 – Annual USCPFA-MN Election & Member Dinner at Little Szechuan in Stadium Village
March 19, 2015: “Jewish Refugees in Shanghai” Exhibit Grand Opening
USCPFA-MN members attended the Grand Opening of this amazing exhibit at the Sabes Jewish Community Center. Welcome remarks were made by Consul General Zhao Weiping, Consulate General of the PRC in Chicago (below left), and the Honorable Tony Leung, Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court, District of MN (below right).
March 14-15, 2015: Passage to China – Sponsored by the Chinese Heritage Foundation
USCPFA-MN hosted its annual Chinese New Year banquet to celebrate “40 Years of Friendship with China” – The USCPFA-MN Chapter and National USCPFA were founded in 1974 – forty years ago. In those early years, to fulfill its mission of “developing friendships and understanding between the two countries,” USCPFA was the only way most Americans could travel to China and USCPFA-MN played a key role in establishing the sister relationships between Minnesota and China. Some of those early members were in attendance, including Joyce Hsiao, Ming Tchou, Margaret Wong, and Professor Ted Farmer.
Meet Minneapolis, Bill Deef VP of International Relations, and USCPFA-MN welcomed a 4-member Delegation from Harbin on January 29-31. The dinner guests included USCPFA-MN Board Members Linda Mealey-Lohmann, Ralph Beha, Wen Li, and Christopher Hang, along with Delegation members Mr. WANG Xiaoxi, Secretary, Politics & Law Committee, CPC Harbin Committee; Mr. XIA Qianming, President, Harbin Culture & Tour Group; Mr. MU Hongfeng, Vice Director-General, Harbin Pingfang District Government; Mr. SONG Xiangdong (Robert), Vice Director-General, Harbin Foreign & Overseas Chinese Affairs, along with Jill Griffith, ZHANG Hui (Harbin Women’s short track (3000 m relay) speed skating gold medalist for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics) and Sandy Wang (Harbin PhD Candidate at the U of M).
Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges traveled to Harbin China from January 4 to 7 for the 2015 Ice and Snow Festival. Her 6-person delegation also included USCPFA-MN Board Member Ralph Beha, as well as Bill Deef, VP International Relations for Meet Minneapolis, Melvin Tennant of Meet Minneapolis, and 11th Ward City Council member John Quincy. Mayor Hodges met with Harbin Mayor Song during a formal reception and luncheon. The Delegation also attended the Cold Zone Exposition and Forum, visited snow and ice sculptures, and the Russian-influenced St. Sophia Cathedral.
Past Significant Events
and Accomplishments where USCPFA-MN played major role by Barbara Harrison
- 2015 Minneapolis Mayor Hodges Delegation to Harbin
- 2014 Harbin Music Exchange event
- Annual participation in Passage to China, hosted by Chinese Heritage Foundation
- Hosting of 1985 USCPFA National Convention; attended by Harrison Salisbury, David Lampton, Governor from Shaanxi, Ambassador Han Xu, Madam Li Xiaolin, others
- Hosting of USCPFA-Midwest Region Conferences (2008 Moon Festival)
- Harbin Ice Sculptors to the St. Paul Winter Carnival
- Large group of Changsha Children to St. Paul
- Kite Festival. Sourced and hosted kite team from Yangjiang City, China
- Local host for Chinese Team to the Special Olympics in Minnesota
- Hosting of new Ambassadors from China to the U.S. to introduce them to Minnesotans
- Sponsor and co-sponsor of business seminars
- Significant orientation work with incoming U of MN students and scholars from 1979 on
- Presentations on China to public school classes (Garnett Kirchner, Fred Ptashne, Effie McKerson, Barbara Harrison, Charles Petersen, others)
- Hosting of Chinese visitors for dinners in homes (Margaret Wong, Barbara Harrison, Jolie Klapmeier, Charles Petersen, Mary Warpeha, Ken and Pat Puffer, others) and restaurants
- Co-sponsorship of USCPFA Washington Seminars from about 1993 to 2005
- Production of chapter newsletters
- Hosting of Chinese Embassy and Chicago Consulate staff for special China-related local events